Wooden floors give a rustic and appealing manifestation to the room. It requires skill to install wooden floor correctly. A faulty installation could end up in damaged floor and filthy appearance. It is further difficult laying wood floor on concrete. It needs professional approach and careful working. Here are a few points to keep in mind:
- Always use good quality material for great results.
- Take accurate measurements.
- Buy prepackaged floors to make the task simple.
- Keep the wooden floor in the home for some time to adjust with the surroundings. Remember, it is an important point!
- Make the concrete floor clean and smooth. Level it properly by filling the low spots and grinding off the high ones. Sand it for great finish.
- Timber board
- Drills, saw, hammers, nails and fitting tool
- Adhesive tape
- Vapor barrier
- Measuring tape
- Edge blocks and space blocks
Steps to lay the floor
- Preparing the boards: As a general rule, always lay the boards in the direction of the longest straight wall. If you have a square room, then follow the direction of light for maximum brightness in the room. Let the boards remain there for one or two days to get acquainted with the surroundings. Remove any inwards-opening doors to make the task simple. Remove the old skirting boards, if you have any. You will have to put new ones after completing the flooring.
- Install the vapor barrier: Vapor barriers or vapor retarders prevent the moisture reaching to the wooden floor. Asphalt and Polyethylene are the best material. Cover the concrete slab evenly with a layer of cut-back cold mastic and let it remain undisturbed for a few hours. Apply a second coat to make the surface even. If you are using polyethylene, then it is better to use 4 or 6 mm film and extend it under the board on all sides. Overlap it properly to cover entire area. For humid areas, it is suggested coating primer on the wooden boards before installing. Put adhesive tapes on the joints and edges to make them air-tight.
- Lay the floor: Put the plastic spacer along the walls to allow expansion due to changes in humidity. Make sure that the spacer is removed after the installation. Start from the corner and lay the first row. The end of the boards are usually tongued and grooved. Fix them according to the instruction manual. You have to either nail them or glue them. Complete entire row by cutting the last board. Lay the second row by fixing all sides of the boards. Put pressure towards the walls where you have put plastic spacer. Make sure that each joint is tightened properly. Laying the last row is the trickiest task. Measure the gap between the edge of adjacent board and the wall. Cut the boards of 10 mm less width. Fit the boards and fit them along the length. Use fitting tools wherever required.
Enjoy the grace and beauty of a wooden floor even if you have built the home on concrete slab. Follow the above-mentioned tips make the floor classy and chic! Don’t forget to check out: Best Vacuum For Wood Floors – Topsinnj Reviews